BSOD with mrxdav.sys
The “blue screen of death” (BSOD) with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and a mention of mrxdav.sys file appears typically when using Shared Folders or network shares under VirtualBox.
All you have to do is to switch off the WebClient service:
- Open Services (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services),
- Right click WebClient, select Properties,
- Pressed Stop, and under Startup type select Disabled.
You might wanna restart the Win OS, so you clean up the system a bit. After this, the mrxdav.sys BSOD should not appear anymore.
Short freezes of guest OS
If you experience short freezes of guest OS, it might be due to Win’s heavy use of ACPI register that has a very large virtualization penalty. Fortunately, there is a simple workaround available: disable ACPI support in Windows.
- Right click My Computer and select Properties.
- Choose the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
- Select the entry under Computer with the right mouse button. If it already says Standard PC, then there’s no need to do anything.
- Select Properties.
- Click the Update Driver button.
- Choose “No, not this time” and click Next.
- Choose “Install from a list” and click Next.
- Choose “Don’t search” and click Next.
- Click Next.
- Choose Standard PC and click Next.
- Continue clicking Next and reboot the virtual machine.